Monday, June 26, 2017

Monday 6/26

Happy Monday!
As much as Monday's sometimes stink as we go back to work and school, and lucky for me I didn't have to do either today, but I like to appreciate the "happy" in Sundays' and Mondays'. The Lord's day and a day to celebrate getting back in the swing of things!

When I woke up wifi still wasn't working, so I ate breakfast for cheap here, got ready, and found a café near La Sagrada Familia to get wifi and get in contact with Marissa. After she met me there, we made our way to the Cathedral!! We did an audioguide tour (which I made notes of) so we got to know a lot about the history of it all, and we went up the towers to see beautiful views of the city!

In 1883, Antoni Guadí made the design and started work on the Cathedral. In 1926, after knowing he was getting old and would not be able to finish his masterpiece, he spent his last 8 months on site and contracted others to finish his work, saying "I will get old but others will come after me." Every single part of the Cathedral represents part of Christ's life. The top of the four main towers that represent the disciples are the closest heaven, and the tallest tower will be almost the height of a nearby hill, but Gaudí believed that "the work of man should never rise above that of Christ." The floor plan of the Cathedral is in the shape of a cross, like many cathedrals. Each column inside of the Cathedral represents trees in the forests, made of different stone to represent the different types of trees, and the vaulted ceilings represent the canopy of forests. The windows have stained glass which illuminate the entire inside, because Gaudí believed "the sun is the finest painter." The hardest part for Gaudí was the facade with the crucifixion, as it should "convey the truth of life."
In 2026, Gaudí's masterpiece is set to be finished.















After touring the Cathedral, we went to Subway which we both had been craving - it did not disappoint!! Subway is definitely my fav fast-food sub shop!

We parted ways and I went back home to my hostel, so after resting and showering, I found a cafe to get wifi :)  After, I came back to working wifi at the hostel! So nice to have it working again. Not that having wifi is a necessity, but just knowing I have it in case is reassuring. At home
I feel like I was on my phone 24/7 compared to the little amount I use it in Spain!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thursday 6/29 - My last day in Spain

Off to Sevilla after a great time in Barcelona! I woke up before 6am to get to the airport for my flight at 9. While in the plane waiting ...